Haunted Guest Memories Archives
The “spirit residents” of Magnolia Mansion wasted no time in making themselves known to us! I decided to nap not long after our afternoon arrival and immediately felt the bed vibrating. This occurred during the night for two nights, then stopped – probably because my husband and I were both comfortable with their presence and acknowledged it…
On the third night, my husband heard noises that sounded like items being moved in the bathroom during the night – perhaps the playful kiddies?!
Lynne Smith, Vancouver, BC
As I lay sleeping comfortably, I felt a cold breeze blow over me. I wondered why, since I had the heater directly in front of the bed. I opened my eyes and I noticed an image standing at the door. I remembered thinking, am I really seeing an experience? I closed my eyes being skeptical then reopened them. To my amazement, the image of a blue dress was at my bedside. I tried to speak and move but I couldn’t. I then saw a hand each towards me and began to caress my head gently. With tender strokes, this hand began to rub my head behind the ears as if a mother putting her child to sleep. After a few short rubs it was over. I have had experiences elsewhere just seeing an image. I must say, this was the first experience I’ve been physically touched.
Henry Marshall III, New Orleans
Hollie, We were disappointed that we hadn't said a proper "goodbye" as well. We had gone out for supper at Pat O'Brien's after our plantation tour. We had such a great day. Our bus driver, Lamone (sp?), was the best! We stayed out until midnight, had drinks on the veranda, as the evidence we left told, and were on the road by 5:15am for the airport. You were the most amazing host and your help with our plans was so appreciated. We felt so well taken care of. Heidi was so excited about her "experiences" as well. About 20 minutes before we left our room Monday, Tracey and I heard heavy footsteps going up and down the hallway but no one was there!
We have many wonderful memories from our stay. Magnolia Mansion will be talked about at our weekend get-togethers often.
Thank you from all of us, take care, eh? (had to throw the Canadian in)
Joelle Gillespie, New Brunswick, Canada
On the first night of arrival at Magnolia Mansion, our group arrived late, after midnight, due to flight delays. My husband and I settled into our room, the Vampire's Lair, which was on the Main Floor, separate from the rest of our group. Being quite tired, I wanted to get some sleep. Upon entering, it was easy to see the room was beyond elegant ,dark, and gloriously Gothic. I wanted to save my admiration of it for morning, after a good nights' sleep. But, the "resident" guest in our room had different plans.
I was awoken around 3:00pm in the morning, to the sounds of shuffling in our bathroom. Not sure of what was happening, I lay awake, listening, in complete amazement. It was as though an actual person was in our bathroom, re-arranging it. Shuffling, walking around, setting items down on the counter, water slightly running in the tub, more shuffling, and the sound of my make-up bag being rummaged through. There were even the sounds of something rolling across the counter, and as I lay there for about 5 minutes, listening, I awoke my husband, whispering there was someone in our bathroom. He leapt from the bed, whipped open the bathroom doors, to find complete silence and vacancy. After explaining the events, and with the realization of what I heard, I lay awake for the rest of the night, in complete fascination and awe. And then there was the next night.....
After a day of touring beautiful New Orleans, and being even more tired the second night, my husband and I settled in to our bed around 1:00am. He immediately fell asleep (Bourbon Street was fun for him), and I tried to get comfortable. As I lay there, wondering if our "visitor" will return to the bathroom, I felt gentle poking at my feet. Startled, I kicked at the blankets, telling myself that it was my imagination. So, I rolled over towards my husband, for shelter, feeling a bit scared, and that is when the most freaky, unbelievable occurrence happened. As I lay there for a few minutes, I felt the blankets behind my legs starting to compress along my legs, as if I were being tucked in. It was an unbelievable feeling. With no doubt of what was happening, I let out a scream to my husband, threw off all of the blankets onto the floor, quickly explaining what had just happened. I was truly un-nerved after that. I have never in all of my life had something like that happen. We gathered a sheet off the floor, my husband wrapped himself around me, and I lay awake for a good part of the night. It's a completely fascinating thing to experience, and I am forever a believer in the paranormal. I was 99.9% before, but am 200% positive now. The next 2 nights we stayed, I kindly asked whoever was visiting us through the night to leave us (me!) be, and let me sleep. Honestly, after that, I had 2 peaceful nights. And although I always thought it would be cool to have a genuine ghostly experience, I must say, that it left me feeling a whole lot different than what I thought it would. I am very thankful for the experiences. I feel honored to have had them. It was very startling, but the spirit in the Vampire's Lair is kind, and caring. Really, the only time I had ever been tucked in was by a parent or by my husband when I was down the flu. So, it was a kind ghost, as Hollie put it, the "Caretaker". I hope to visit he, and Hollie at Magnolia Mansion again someday. I feel blessed to have stayed there. Thank you Hollie, you are such a gracious hostess, your Mansion is breathtaking, and I absolutely loved our stay there!! Warmest regards, Heidi McLean
- 1/20/07 – "This was a fantastic place to stay. I hope you find out who the little boy was that ran through the dining room. The staff couldn’t have been any better. Thanks so much! Real New Orleans is here."
Carmen Carter, Destrahan, LA
- 1/20/07 – "Just loved our stay. Ghost touched me in my room. All friendly. Friendly and courteous staff especially “Mr. D.” Would love to visit again in the future."
Patricia Dufresne, Luling, LA
- 1/20/07 – "The best trip ever! Saw and felt a ghost! Wonderful Ghostly Getaway Package"
- 9/14/06 – "Aside for the most perfect wedding anyone can hope for, we had a visit one evening from the mansion’s ‘caretaker’. I had been feeling ill with stomach pains and felt a gentle stroking on my face and hair. The next morning we were speaking with Hollie about the mansions ghost and she mentioned the ‘caretaker’ spirit. I asked my husband if it had been him stroking my cheek and hair but he claims he was asleep the entire time. Our thanks again for such a wonderful wedding and stay. And special thanks to our caretaker friend!"
Randell & Dana Eskew (Elopement 9/12/06) Fredericksburg, VA
- 4/10/05 –
"Hi, I hope you will add this to your guest book/haunted happenings web page. My husband and I fell in love with the mansion during our stay. The Napoleon room was pure decadence in all it’s blue and golden glory. The entire place was so inviting.
On our 3rd sunny afternoon, hubby decided to take a nap while I read a book in the front parlor. As is most afternoons, the mansion was empty… staff hidden away in the back office, other guests out on tours. I felt like we were the only people home. I took my slippers off and got comfortable. After a while of complete silence I heard footsteps in the hallway. I immediately put my slippers back on in case it was a staffer who might frown upon my bare feet. But no one came along so I took them off again. I had a perfect view of the hallway. To make a long story short, over the course of the next 20 minutes I did this slip on-slip off game as I kept hearing footsteps but never seeing anyone, never hearing any of the very creaky doors open or close, never heard anyone on the stairs or in the lobby or dining room.
I stopped reading altogether and watched the hallway for signs of the owner of these footsteps. The steps were very clearly walking from one end of the hall to the other, like a pacing. My ears’ sense of depth perception picked up on that quickly. But again, no one ever passed by.
After a while the steps stopped, but a new sensation arose. The room was warm and still, but the upper portion of my left arm, which I had just rested on the arm of the sofa, became amazingly cold all of a sudden, and the hairs were standing up straight. I’m convinced someone was looking over my shoulder, asking me to keep a more formal attitude and put my slippers back on. Once I put them on and left them on, everything returned to 'normal.'
Thanks again for your hospitality!"Jessica & Keith Pankatz, Boston, MA
- 4/15/05 – "This was like a trip back in time. Everything was beautiful. The spirits were with us last night. It was a pleasant visit. We plan to return with our friends from Mississippi."
Rochelle Holliday, Poplarville, MS
- 4/15/05 – "What a beautiful mansion! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. We even heard ghostly footsteps around 3AM. We will be back and hope to stay every time we come to New Orleans."
Margaret Elsesser, Columbia, TN
- 3/19/05 – "We had a very quiet and peaceful stay in your lovely home with only one “incident.” This morning I awakened early feeling overheated. Being unable to fall asleep again, I went over to one of the armchairs and began meditating. I fell into a deep relaxation and felt someone gripping tightly onto my right wrist. It seemed to be the hand of a child but the grip was quite strong and I ultimately had to pry off the thin fingers that were wrapped around my wrist. When I opened my eyes I was rather startled to see no one was there. I went back to bed and dreamed of a young girl who was walking up the street followed a few yards behind by an older gentleman who appeared to be her father. Suddenly, the young girl perhaps around 11 or 12 darted into the street and was hit by a car and killed. I don’t know if this was the same child or merely my brain construing an explanation. Thanks for an unusually interesting stay."
Linda Franklin, Davis, CA
- 11/5/04 – "Thank you so very much! Magnolia Mansion has been the highlight of our visit to New Orleans! Bourbon Street, the iron work in the French Quarter and even the tours seem to pale in comparison to the peaceful tranquility we found here. The room was breathtaking and the tub was sheer pleasure! We saw no ghosts; yet in the wee hours, I heard the soft tinkling notes of a music box. I’m told other have heard it and am now not fearing for my sanity. Thank you, thank you, thank you for opening up your home to visitors! We shall be back soon. Take care."
Shane & Noemi Adams, Austin, TX
- 11/3/04 – "Thank you for a lovely stay. We are in town for Sesame Street Live playing at the UNO center and we had a few days off. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous and so comfortable. Everyone was very welcoming including the hosts and the ghosts. We had a 5:30 am wake up call from the man on the roof (footsteps) during the storm. And Jason was visited by the little girl watching over us in our sleep the night before. We got a little scared but asked if they would let us be and they were nice enough to move on. I know we will be back… maybe for our wedding. This will definitely be a destination to return to. Thank you."
Angie & Jason
- 11/3/04 – "It was my first time visiting New Orleans and what a wonderful experience. The rooms are absolutely amazing. And there are spirits all over. One night the glass was turned upside down when I came back to get more water. Footsteps are heard. And I saw orbs at Lafayette Cemetery around midnight last night. I love this place and I love New Orleans. Thank you."
- 10/7/04 – "My sister and I stayed in the Mardi Gras room and had a very strange experience. She went up to the room the first night and I stayed in the parlor reading, when I went up to the room the door was locked. After knocking for near a half hour, I got Holly to let me in (thinking my sister was sleeping). Upon opening the door, she was sitting on the bed watching TV. She never heard me knocking!!"
Tina Dame and Paula Phillips, Orenskow, KY
- 9/5/04 – "We are on our honeymoon. Thank you so much for some wonderful memories, we stayed in the Vampire room and watched “Interview with the Vampire” it was really scary!!"
Mr. and Mrs. Orlando Kelly, London
- 9/4/04 – "Thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality! We especially enjoyed the gorgeous decor and our time in the Mardi Gras room. The ghostly visitors were helpful and not scary at all! We’ll be sure to come back the next time were in N’awlins!"
David Hughes and Gloria Munoz, Oakland, CA
- 09/04 – "What a great place! If I’m not mistaken “someone” sat on my bed last night (a spirit maybe)?"
Luca Mitchell, Waco, TX
- 7/5/04 – "I was enchanted! Thank you for making this experience in New Orleans even better, Hollie I will always remember this big house with the high ceilings… and I’ll remember the ghost and the noises above my head."
- 7/28/04 – "We arrived on July 25th and stayed in the Vampire's Lair to celebrate our first night together as a married couple. I had an experience the 1st night. I wasn't feeling well and during the night had taken the covers off. A little while later, I felt them pulled up on me, tucked around me and my cheek brushed by a cold hand. I looked over at my husband to see if it was him and he was on the far side of the bed with his back to me (sound asleep). Staying here Hollie, has been a wonderful experience (even the ghost) and your warmth and compassion and caring for your guests is indescribable. Thank you so much for the flowers and we will be back to celebrate our anniversary."
Cynthia Fogle Cunningham & Don Cunningham, Julian , CA
- 12/7/04 – "Great time, beautiful and haunting."
- 7/01/03 – "Hollie, what a divine pleasure it was to meet you both. Your southern hospitality has convinced us to move here and relocate our business. Tell the ghost gentleman in the Vampire room good-bye for us. Had a wonderful time and you went that extra mile to perfect it. Thank you so very much for being you."
Beverly P and Russell P, CA
- 4/1/03 – "A wonderful stay! My friend Beth and I stayed in the Mardi Gras room. The ghosts were very polite and friendly. Overall, a wonderful, wonderful place."
Jennifer V. Rockford, IL
- 2/1/03 – "Friendly Ghosts & Guests – thanks for your hospitality."
Andrew Agoiter and Catania Sicily - Ikley, England
- 3/6/03 – "Dear Hollie, I love this place, I felt like at home when I came the first time. I just wished I could have sleep some, your ghost residents didn't let me, but I guess I asked for it. When I came in I mentioned, I would like to hear or see some ghost and I guess they heard me and did wake me up every 5 minutes, but any way I'll be back next year this time, I'll try to talk to them."
Rosa Marshall #7 Mardi Gras Room
- 3/13/03 – "We had an absolutely fabulous time in "N'awlins". It was so nice to come back to such a peaceful and beautiful retreat from the French Quarter Chaos. The ghosts were entertaining, especially to Heather, who heard the music box twice and footsteps in the hall. The furnishings were spectacular just like in a museum, but we got to sit on them. The staff has been so friendly and extremely helpful. Kristian was the perfect "host", calling all over town for whatever we needed. If there is any way possible to return this will be our destination. >From one innkeeper to another – this was 'the best'. "
Maggie, Heather, and Mindy, Napa, CA
- "Dear Hollie, Kristian and Michael, Thank you for such a great time. Danielle and I had the best time at our stay in New Orleans and it was due to the Magnolia Mansion and your great hospitality. It couldn't have been a better vacation for us and the Moulin Rouge Room! We will always talk of this for years to come and we will always stay with you when we return to New Orleans. Its back to work for us but I'm sure we will be passing through again (Hopefully soon!) If ever you are in NYC, we both hope you will look us up and share a drink and dinner to return the hospitality. Although we didn't hear any footsteps in the night, we can add to the haunted history to say the first two nights we stayed there Danielle and I shared almost identical vivid dreams about vampires. Could have been the red walls and satin sheets mind you (BTW AWESOME TUB!) Michael, you are a class above all. A true gentleman and a scholar. Now I have to make it a point to see the Full Monty! On your travels please look us up. And Kristian, Good luck with your business and consulting. The same invitation is extended as well. I would like to speak to you more about this whole web site deal. You are a wonderful person and a delight to talk with and we hope our paths will cross again. When we reached home I realized while unpacking that I had forgotten to turn in the keys however they are on their way back to you as we speak! Again, thanks to all of you and may the New Year be as prosperous as our meeting. All the best."
Kevin + Danielle
- 11/23/02 – "Dear Holly; We recently stayed in your lovely New Orleans home, the Magnolia Mansion during our first visit to New Orleans. We were there from Nov. 7-11th, and I would like to tell you that we will never consider staying anywhere else when we return. I fell in love with the house, the ambiance, and the city in general. Kristian helped to make our stay wonderful! I felt so much at home that I wore my fuzzy leopard slippers downstairs each morning to get my coffee! Your home is beautiful, and full of "Spirit". We had to leave the day before your party, and would have loved meeting you, perhaps on our next visit! Once Again, thank you so much for creating such a wonderful place in such a favorable city! Sincerely,"
Denise and Dan Loomis Ft. Myers Beach, FL – Received via email